Fem Belling is a rising star in the international jazz scene and is thrilled to be collaborating with Dave Spicer, AJ Hall and Lachlan Mitchell at this year’s Brisbane Vocal Jazz Festival. Her African Jazz and theatre roots augment her unique musicality, choices and interpretations.
The evening will be filled with musical stories and lyrical tales interspersed with violin and a quick wit of scat vocalization.
South African born & bred vocalist and violinist, Fem Belling is a rising star on the international jazz scene and has become one of Australia’s most formidable and in demand performers. Her African Jazz and theatre roots augment her unique musicality, choices and interpretations. “A breathtaking storyteller through music.”
The jazz world hums with ubiquitous young singers revisiting the great American songbook. Then one comes along with an actor’s stagecraft and an instrumentalist’s refrain. Fem shot to international attention when she turned all 4 chairs on ‘The Voice 2015’ this season, with Ricky Martin, Jessie J & Delta Goodrem all fighting for the chance to mentor her. Jessie J won out, saying she has been “waiting for someone like this”.
Hailing from a musical dynasty, music in her blood, she has performed with many jazz greats, locally and internationally. Appearing with her own band, collaborations & residencies at Ronnie Scotts (Ldn), Bennett’s Lane, Paris Cat, WOMADelaide, Noosa Jazz Fest, Melbourne International Jazz Festival, Stonnington Jazz Festival, Joy of Jazz SA, Madajazzcar.
Acclaimed for her self-written musical homage to Blossom Dearie and her Sarah Vaughan tribute, she creates magic between music, the stage and the audience. Fem has performed alongside Gregory Porter, Joe Chindamo, Joe Ruberto, John Foreman, The DMJO, Gil Askey, Paul Williamson, The Public Opinion Afro Orchestra (ARIA nomination), The Syncopators and Reggie Watts.
With 5 Vita awards under her belt, a Green Room Award nomination for Best Leading Actress in a Musical “Genesis to Broadway”, this award winning actress has spent many years as a leading lady in London’s West End.
She performed for Her Majesty the Queen at the Royal Variety. Lead roles in West End shows include Hairspray, Fame, and Footloose. International shows such as Little Shop of Horrors, Nunsense and Cats & Liza Minnelli in THE BOY FROM OZ.
Fem is a YAMAHA AUSTRALIA ARTIST playing their 5 string electric Silent violin.
- “We were treated to Belling’s prodigious vocal control – truly a chill- inducing performance” – Artshub
- “Belling is a pocket rocket with a versatile vocal palette and a gift for improvisation. If it’s music you want to hear, you won’t be disappointed by these lush and limber jazz styling’s” – The Herald Sun
- “I believe a new musical star was born on stage last night” – SA Tonight
- “Bloody Brilliant – @#*% incredible” – Robbie Williams
- “Once Fem walks onto the stage you are under her spell.” – The Age
- “Some people in the packed theatre who remembered the childhood difficulty of choosing between multi-coloured, boiled, lollies in a sweet shop. As one of them, I can confirm that listening to Belling was akin to having all the beloved treats at once” – aussietheatre
- “Belling is an exceptional talent with a compelling presence and a versatile, powerful voice” – the Herald Sun