Wilma Reading, Australia’s Indigenous lady of song, and local North Queensland jazz legend has toured with the Duke Ellington Orchestra as part of her stellar international career, and now shares her famous voice in her home town, Cairns.
After growing up in what she describes as the ‘village’ of Cairns in the 1940s and 50s, Wilma Reading began her career in Brisbane, before conquering New York and the West End, as well as touring with the best European national orchestras as well as the Moscow Symphony Orchestra.
Be a part of this debut performance at the Brisbane Jazz Club with a musician from our own backyard whose career has overlapped with the likes of the Count Basie Orchestra, Ella Fitzgerald, Liberace, Sarah Vaughan, Cleo Laine, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Dean Martin and Liberace.
She is joined by the legendary Tommy See Poy on piano and voice from Cairns performing an eclectic mix from Jazz evergreens to soulful Blues.
High points of Wilma’s Career
• ABC RADIO and TELEVISION, AUSTRALIA
• COMMERCIAL TELEVISION, AUSTRALIA
• HILTON INTERNATIONAL HOTELS
• LONDON TALK of the TOWN
• LONDON PALLADIUM
• THE ROLE OF “JULIE” in the musical SHOWBOAT, LONDON
• BBC TELEVISION, UK
• RIVIERA HOTEL, LAS VEGAS
• COPACABANA, NEW YORK
• DUKE ELLINGTON ORCHESTRA
• RUSSIAN CONCERT TOUR – 33 one woman concerts with SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
• RECORDED SOUNDTRACK SONG for the film THE TAMARIND SEED
• RECORDED for PYE RECORDS, LONDON, NCR, HOLLAND FESTIVAL RECORDS, AUSTRALIA